2014/08/16

Barcelona, the food temple

Before going to Barcelona I didn't have too much experience with Spanish cuisine. Fortunately, I am lucky enough to have a Spanish friend, who is not only bringing some Spanish food from his hometown from time to time, but he enjoys eating at least as much as I do. So I get to eat and talk about food. Perfect combination! One word I can say about the Spanish food is: excellent.
What makes the perfect cuisine for me? The fact that even simple combination of its products, like just bread and olive oil, creates a meal that you are not going to forget. That thing, typical of Italian cuisine (which I know a bit better), I discovered also in Spanish cuisine. If a simple bocadillo de jamón served for breakfast with a nice cup of coffee can make your day, think what a dinner can do! Knowing all these things I went to Barcelona with one main target: to eat! And I ate. A lot. And it was unforgettable!

Due to its location, Barcelona is famous for seafood, which smell spreads all around the city. In the northern Spain not only the traditional Spanish tapas, like jamón, queso, aceitunas or tortilla de patatas are served, but also seafood tapas, prepared from fresh, best quality products. And what I can tell you is that these amazing tapas like pulpo a la gallega, gambas, calamares or boquerones you can find everywhere. While being in Barcelona, you do not need to spend your time looking for fancy restaurants in guidebooks. Good food in Barcelona is everywhere, just waiting for us to take it. It's great, cheap and you should try it all.

Barcelona was a food temple for me, not only because of the variety of tastes that it offers, but also due to the fact that you can see and feel how people celebrate eating there. Starting from hundreds of tourist, evidently delighted with the cuisine, through the cooks and waiters who with passion recommend you the best things to eat, ending with the locals, going out, enjoying the summer over a full table. Everyone is treating a meal as a ceremony. So did I and I loved every minute of it! 

La Sagrada Familia
Besides my main target, I wanted also to get to know the city. I was absolutely delighted with La Sagrada Familia. Getting inside is a must. The art of Gaudi's is unique and breathtaking. 

Montjuic Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya
From the Montjuïc hill you can enjoy beautiful view at Barcelona and take a closer look to Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya.


Typical breakfast, bocadillo de jamón
One of these simple breakfast costs nothing and tastes like nothing- nothing else in the world. 

La Boqueria
Obviously, while being in Barcelona, I had to visit the Queen of food markets- famous La Boqueria. When I get there for a first time, I was speachless. The Queen is really only one. She smells great, she looks beautiful and everyone wants to see her. The vendors in la Boqueria sell everything: fruits, vegetables, meat, cheese, fresh (and sometimes still moving!) seafood. The explosion of colours and smells and the fact that all products are beautifully presented make you want to walk around it again and again. And take pictures. And eat  I T  A L L. 


Dried kiwi, dried mango, dried papaya. Everything dried and delicious. 


Seafood, straight from the sea. If they make tapas of it, it explaines it all.


Fresh fruits salads, perfect starter before getting to the real food :)


One of many delicious snacks. Some sell ice cream in the cones, some sell jamón. I love them both!

No comments:

Post a Comment